Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Marathon #1, Here I Come!


I would like to officially announce that I have registered for the Portland Marathon!!  Since I’ve forked out the $145 and now formally proclaimed it online, there’s no turning back now.  If my hamstrings, ankles, knees, and feet cooperate (fingers crossed), I will be running 26.2 miles in precisely 5 months, 18 days, and 19 hours from now.  I can’t wait!

I have purchased an 18-week training plan.  Yesterday, my Physical Therapist made me come to the realization that I had been overly optimistic about my pulled hamstring recovery time and reminded me that resuming intense physical activity prematurely may cause this pesky injury to linger indefinitely.  Therefore, I’m trying to slowly ease my way back into things  -- hopefully at a faster pace than the PT has predicted. 

One other note: The Portland Marathon will be dedicated all those who were impacted by the tragic Boston Marathon bombing, as part of a “Speak with Your Feet” campaign.  This adds new meaning to this endeavor.  My heart aches for the folks in Boston.

I am not a couch potato.  I’ve done a long assortment of 5K’s, 10K’s, 12K’s, and half-marathons throughout the past several years.  However, a full marathon seems daunting.   Positive messaging starts now: I think I can, I think I can…

2 comments:

  1. Hilary!!! I am so excited to see you posting again and look forward to reading more updates of your progress in marathon training and etc!!! I have recently found myself loving running and one day hope to run a marathon! You will be an inspiration to me!!! I hope all is going well with work and all--we need to catch up soon!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I did it, you can definitely do it! Just make sure to take care of your hamstring before diving into too much training :)

    ReplyDelete