Sunday, February 9, 2014

West Seattle Fat Ass 25K

My Super Bowl Sunday started at 5:15AM as I prepared for the West Seattle Fat Ass 25K/50K, a self-described "no fee, no shirt, no aid, no whining fun run" that started and ended in Lincoln Park (with donations covering the costs of the event +  the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society).   Many members of the Seattle Green Lake Running Group were there for support, camaraderie, and carpools, and it turned out to be a lovely morning along the Seattle waterfront.  

I really appreciated the relaxed, low-key atmosphere of the run; it didn't have the normal nervous tension that often accompanies races.  People were treating it as more of a training run, and I chatted with other runners the whole way.  I have to admit that my legs got tired the last couple miles, but it was still a lot of fun.

25K converts to 15.53 miles (my GPS calculated the course at 15.54 miles, so it was very close!).  My official time was 2:18:19, but it included a couple stops to chat with people and one for the bathroom.  That is about 8:54 per mile, but this run was definitely not about times.

The view of downtown Seattle was exquisite at the start.
Look for the 12th Man tribute!
Members of the Seattle Green Lake Running Group gathered
for a 7:00AM start-line photo as a ferry passed 

by in the background.
The Space Needle was picturesque with clouds on the
 water beneath it.  Jamie stopped to take a picture of Morgan
and me as we ran by it, but I almost crashed into that pole
 attempting to run backwards!
I ran with Jamie for almost the entire course.  Like lots of others, she
was clad in her best Seahawks gear.  People shouted "Go hawks!"
as we passed.

Here I am with fellow members of the SGRLG after we'd reached
the treats and drinks at the finish line.

After the run was over, we were able to watch history in the making as the Seahawks became Super Bowl champions.  What a glorious day!

No comments:

Post a Comment