Wednesday, May 22, 2013

I Beat the Bridge!


A pre-race photo
Can you spot the banana?

Sunday, I went on my first official run since the infamous hamstring pull just over 7 weeks ago.  I was a bit nervous beforehand, yet was pleasantly surprised because (although my leg was tight and sore) I did not experience much pain.  Halleluiah!  It was a nice way to get the momentum rolling as I transition into a more rigorous running schedule.

We participated in Beat the Bridge, a charitable fun run to support type 1 diabetes research.  The 8K(which is just under 5 miles) course was relatively flat and even included a few gradual downhill sections.  This was my kind of race! 

The objective of the run is to cross over Seattle’s University Bridge before it is raised (which is only 20 minutes into the race and approximately 2 miles from the start)—causing runners to be stranded on one side of it.   I am happy to report that everyone in our group had surpassed this point with ample time before the bridge was drawn.  My only goal had been to “beat the bridge.”  Mission accomplished.

My stats for Beat the Bridge: pace per mile= 8:29, place in my division= 73 out of 581, and place out of all female runners= 349 out of 2,745.  I certainly wasn’t #1, but I’m not complaining!

Issac passed me at mile three, and I knew I wouldn’t see him until the end of the race.  In fact, he was so far ahead of me that he had enough time to film this video of my dramatic crossing of the finish line:
 
(Just look for the only runner who has her arms up in the air.  Not sure why I always feel the need to treat each finish like a victory.  I guess I’m a firm believer in acting like a champion, even if you’re in 349th place).
 
I’ve decided that I now have a new goal: Beat the Issac.  It’s highly unlikely that it will ever happen, but I have high aspirations. 
And now that I have determined that I am physically capable of running in a safe and responsible manner, I will continue hitting the pavement and cranking out the miles as I prepare for more enthralling fun runs in the near future…

No comments:

Post a Comment