Monday, May 6, 2013

“Jump” Right In

This weekend, I competed in a competitive jump rope tournament-- along with 9 kids ages 10 through 17 on the team that I coach (and lots of people of all ages from Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Canada).   This was the first jump rope tournament in which I’d participated since “retiring” from the sport in 2001.  I have recently spent a lot of time on the sidelines coaching, but I decided that it was time to “jump” into the action.

Let’s be honest.  My performance was not stellar.   I had not really practiced; my hamstring hurt horribly bad; my shirt tackily flailed about in my freestyle routine (I swear I’d tucked it in!); and my speed scores were definitely below my PR’s.  But there’s something to be said about putting yourself out there and going for it!   I hope that my jumpers gained something from watching their coach get in front of a panel of judges and give it her all as they are often forced to do; it’s certainly not easy. 
I had fans in the audience.


This is me in 30-second Single Rope Speed.   (The video starts with some pre-jump rituals.  Those were a joke).  I completed 144 jumps in 30 seconds—not bad for an “old” lady!


This is my Single Rope Freestyle routine, filmed from the back (lovely!).  I messed-up on my very first trick by completely missing a rope release (a trick that involves throwing the rope and catching it.  My rope fell directly to the ground).  Luckily, it did not become a complete train wreck!


 
If you think I’m bad for jumping with a recovering hamstring, you should watch this video of a guy who competed the entire day with a broken foot.  You will note that he completes everything (back flips and all) on one leg with his other leg in a bright yellow cast suspended in the air.  AMAZING… and slightly disturbing!

 
I got first place in all of my individual events! Granted, I am now in the 30+ age category, which is not very competitive. In fact, I was the only participant in freestyle, and some of the competitors that I beat in speed events were in their 50’s. But winning something is always nice! I cannot remember the last time I got first place in anything… so I’ll take it!! =)
Jump rope is an incredible tool for physical fitness—coordination, muscular strength, cardiovascular strength, flexibility, endurance, etc.  I hope to keep it up as I age.  Perhaps someday I’ll be competing in my 50’s and 60’s as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment